Thursday, April 17, 2008

Plain and Simple by Sue Bender


This book was recommended to me by my friend, Sandra (thanks, Sandra!), and I found it at the Sunnyvale book sale several weeks ago.

Initially intrigued by the design of Amish quilts, Sue Bender spends weeks living with Amish families in Iowa and Ohio. Something about the quilts and something about the everyday lives of the Amish people speak to her and touch her very deeply. This book recounts her spiritual journey of finding out what was being touched in her. She discovers that it is important to continually ask the question of What really matters? Our answers to this question will determine how we arrange our time, what we value, and what we discard.

Sometimes I read a book that speaks to me exactly where I am, and this one did just that. I savored this book and found it to be very encouraging, refreshing, and inspiring.

Some quotes that I liked:

"Listening to your heart is not simple. Finding out who you are is not simple. It takes a lot of hard work and courage to get to know who you are and what you want."

"...there is a big difference between having choices and making a choice. Making a choice - declaring what is essential - creates a framework for a life that eliminates many choices but gives meaning to the things that remain."



No comments: