Sunday, January 17, 2010

Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman by Jon Krakauer

I read Jon Krakauer's Into Thin Air about the Mt. Everest disaster back in the early 2000s. I loved it! Then my sister read it, and she loved it too. Since then, every so often throughout the whole decade, we've talked about Everest. In fact, we just talked about it a couple of weeks ago.

I've read every Krakauer book. I wasn't much of a fan of his last one, Under the Banner of Heaven, but I was still excited to read this one, his latest.


This one is about Pat Tillman who played football for the Cardinals. After 9/11, Tillman walked away from his $3.6 million contract to enlist in the Army. He served in Iraq and then in Afghanistan where he was killed by friendly fire. The fact that it was friendly fire was subsequently covered up by the Army and the White House. This book tells the story of Tillman's life, death, and the cover-up by the Army.

The only word that describes how this book left me feeling is: conflicted.

It's worth reading - I got a bit stuck in some of the descriptions of the military, and it goes a bit into the history of Afghanistan and what's going on. Everything that is going on there is complicated...another reason why I was left feeling conflicted.

No comments: