Monday, September 19, 2011

Slow Love: How I Lost My Job, Put on My Pajamas, and Found Happiness by Dominique Browning


The author was the editor-in-chief of House & Garden when she suddenly found herself unemployed when the magazine folded. She writes about her adjustment to unemployment (but it doesn't seem like she really needs the money), a slower pace of life, and the emotional ups and downs.

I read this book slowly because it was so honest and I liked the writer. Browning rediscovers joy in living and in activities that give her life (gardening, playing the piano, baking).

The one annoying thing about this book is her on-again, off-again relationship with a married man. Who, by the way, sounds like an a******. Bleh!

Also, the ending seems to fizzle out to nothing and was kinda disappointing after such a rich and enjoyable read (minus the whole jerk boyfriend thing).

So, yes, I do recommend this book. Just consider yourself warned about the jerk boyfriend.


1 comment:

Notorious MLE said...

It's great to get your perspective Elaine.