Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Relish: My Life in the Kitchen by Lucy Knisley


I loved French Milk by Knisley, so I was happy to hear that she had another book out, this one about food. It's a graphic novel/memoir (just like French Milk) meaning that it's kinda like a comic book. I loved her detailed and colorful drawings.

Knisley tells her story of growing up as the daughter of a chef and caterer, and how she discovered the joy of eating and cooking. She also includes the most delightful illustrated recipes. I'm looking forward to trying out her chocolate chip cookies.

Delightful is the best word that I can use to describe this book. I'm thinking of buying it as a graduation present for a cousin who is headed off to art school this fall to study animation.

Here's a funny story about this book: Before bed one night, I was kneeling on the floor with my elbows on the bed, my hands holding this book, and my eyes taking in all of the wonderful drawings. Boomer walked in and said, "I thought you were praying, but you're really reading a comic book." Ha!

No comments: