Thursday, August 7, 2014

Behind the Beautiful Forevers: Life, Death, and Hope in a Mumbai Undercity by Katherine Boo

I had heard and read about Behind the Beautiful Forevers for awhile, but I really don't like squalor (living in it, seeing it, or reading about it) and I thought this book would contain squalor (it does) so I did not read this book for a long time. I finally did check it out when an online book club I follow chose it as their July book.

Katherine Boo follows life in Annawadi, a slum near the Mumbai airport. There, amidst the rapid development of the city, are people who are struggling to improve their prospects through various means like collecting/selling garbage or getting involved in political corruption. We get to know some of these individuals, their hopes, and setbacks.

A detailed, painful, sometimes stomach-churning look into a life that most, if not all of us, will never see unless we choose to. Also, it's a reminder that all of us are striving for similar things - safety, security, and opportunities for our families with hopefully some happy times thrown in. Read, if you dare! :)

No comments: