Monday, May 11, 2015

The Time in Between by Maria Duenas, translated by Daniel Hahn

Here's another book that I could classify under "a book originally published in a different language" in the Modern Mrs. Darcy 2015 Reading Challenge. It's a hefty book at 600+ pages, but with an original storyline that I think would translate well into a movie.





Sira Quiroga is trained as a seamstress starting at a young age, and she's about to marry a government clerk. Then, she meets a dashing and deceitful man who charms her, and she also meets her long-lost father. Sira follows her new lover to Morocco where things fall apart and she's left to fend for herself. Eventually, she ends up working as a spy during World War II (what!).

There are some clever scenes and escapades. There are also some boring stretches. I got bogged down in the last 100 pages, and had to tell myself to read 10 pages/day until I finished. So...a neat story and all, but it goes on and on and on.

No comments: