Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Three Short Reviews

Here are some short reviews of books I've recently finished:

 Half-Baked: The Story of My Nerves, My Newborn, and How We Both Learned to Breathe by Alexa Stevenson

Stevenson writes about her experiences going through IVF, giving birth to her daughter 15 weeks early, and seeing her daughter being cared for in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Perhaps this would be a helpful book for parents who have gone through a similar experience or for family members/friends who want to know about some of the feelings that might arise for parents. For me, her humor didn't quite jive with me so this was distracting.

 
 One for the Murphys by Lynda Mullaly Hunt
12-year-old Carley is sent to live with the Murphys after her step-dad beats up her mom. With the Murphys, Carley experiences consistency, love, and acceptance. Does she belong here? A sweet book, but I enjoyed Counting by 7s much, much more.

 





 Wearing God by Lauren Winner
I'm a fan of Winner's first book, Girl Meets God. In this book, Winner writes about other ways to think about God besides the very common images of shepherd, etc. Somewhat interesting, but more theology than memoir.

No comments: