Monday, July 20, 2015

Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

This is quite the saga. Ifemelu grows up in Nigeria where she falls in love with Obinze. She then moves to the US for university and eventually cuts off all contact with Obinze.

This story takes place over about fifteen years and we get the history of Ifemelu and we also read her blog posts which are humorous and truthful observations about race in America.

The ending was a bit of a disappointment. But I guess I am someone who actually enjoys ambiguous endings. This one was a bit too tidy and predictable.

Prepare to invest time (it's 500+ pages) and some heart into this reading experience. It's rich and well-written and will prompt you to think about some uncomfortable things.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Elaine! Have you read her book Half A Yellow Sun? It's on my list.

-Mia :)

Elaine said...

Hi Mia! No, I have not read Half A Yellow Sun, but I just wrote it down on my list to read. Thank you!