Monday, October 19, 2015

In Defense of a Liberal Education by Fareed Zakaria

"When you hear someone extol the benefits of a liberal education, you will probably hear him or her say that 'it teaches you how to think.' I'm sure that's true. But for me, the central virtue of a liberal education is that it teaches you how to write, and writing makes you think. Whatever you do in life, the ability to write clearly, cleanly, and reasonable quickly will prove to be an invaluable skill." --Fareed Zakaria
We live in a time when studying the STEM subjects is highly encouraged and all other subjects are relegated to the side. So if you want to feel better about that Art History or English degree you have, this is the book for you! It made me feel better about my History degree. Actually, I don't feel bad about my History degree. I loved each history class I took (my emphasis was Pre-Industrial Europe!) and I loved all of the reading and writing.

No comments: