Monday, February 15, 2016

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

As I've mentioned here before, most of the books that I read are checked out from the library. Once in awhile, I will find a note left by a previous reader. Sometimes the reader points out some misspellings. Once someone left a post-it warning that read to the effect of "Do not read this book! It'll be a waste of your time!" I found myself trusting the note and reader and put that book back on the shelf.

When I opened up this book, someone had written this in pencil across the top of the Introduction: "WARNING: Intro contains spoilers." I felt very thankful for that warning because I usually read Introductions.

This is a spooky, mysterious, and creepy book. Three survivors of a mass family poisoning live together in the family house. That's about all I can tell you. I will reiterate that this is a spooky book and I would not read it before going to bed. However, I did look forward to reading it during daylight hours.

No comments: