Monday, February 13, 2017

In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan

Not too long ago, I ate Cheez-Its like crazy and Doritos whenever I could. In those days, I had heard about this book, but I didn't want to read it because I knew it would challenge me about what I ate.

Fast forward to last spring when I had to make some dietary changes for a medical reason. I haven't had a Cheez-It or Dorito since last June. (Is that amazing or sad? Or both?) The way I eat is drastically different from how I used to eat. For example, I used to eat breakfast for dinner a lot (pancakes, French toast). Now, I eat dinner for breakfast! (Salad, veggies, meat, cheese, etc.)

Yes, of course, I miss eating lots of yummy snacks and desserts!! At the same time, I also like the way I eat now. I'm more full, I don't spend lots of energy thinking about how to eat more sugar, I have more energy, and I sleep really well!

So I thought that maybe reading In Defense of Food wouldn't be so offending to me now. And it wasn't. Pollan is an advocate of eating real food, mostly vegetables, and staying far, far away from the processed yummies.

A fairly short and convincing read. But I would recommend eating all of those Cheez-Its and bagels and Doritos before you start reading this book!

No comments: