Monday, March 6, 2017

We Were Heroes by Walter Dean Myers

The subtitle of this book is The Journal of Scott Pendleton Collins: A World War II Soldier, Normandy, France, 1944.

I'm pretty sure that this is fiction. But it's confusing because there's an epilogue reads like Scott Pendleton Collins was an actual guy. Some clarification, please?

Anyway, I read this book before I gave it to one of my friend's sons who is in late elementary school and interested in reading about World War II. I think he'll like it! I did, mostly because it's always good to remember all of the lives lost to fight for freedom. In addition, several years ago, Boomer and I traveled to Omaha Beach and the American Cemetery in Normandy and it was a sobering experience. Anyway, just like the title describes, this is a journal of one soldier that starts with the D-Day landing. It describes the horrors of war, what the soldiers of WWII might have faced, and the little things that kept them going (e.g. letters from home, SPAM!). Appropriate for upper elementary school kids too.

No comments: