Sunday, February 24, 2008

The Whole World Over by Julia Glass

This is the story of Greenie who lives with her therapist husband, Alan, and young son, George, in New York City. She owns a bakery and is recruited by the governor of New Mexico to become his personal chef. Dissatisfied with the stagnant state of her marriage, Greenie moves out to New Mexico with her son. The book goes back and forth between Alan and Greenie, plus a handful of other quirky characters, who all end up being kind of connected.

I was quite captured by this book. Mostly for the writing. I did enjoy some of the characters too. However, I can tell how much I like a book by whether or not I want to keep it or pass it on for someone else to read. This is not a book that I need to have in my personal library. So there you have it. It's a nice read, but not a book that I foresee myself re-reading again.

1 comment:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

I loved Julia Glass' first book, Three Junes, and was eagerly awaiting her second one. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by The Whole World Over. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters except the one from her first book, who has a minor role. Actually, the characters kind of grossed me out. I read that it took Julia Glass like seven years to write Three Junes, and only a year (two years?) to write The Whole World Over, and it definitely shows.