Tuesday, October 14, 2008

An Exact Replica of a Figment of My Imagination by Elizabeth McCracken

As a volunteer grief counselor for the last 1 1/2 years, I've been learning how important it is to talk about grief, to experience it, to honor it. I've also learned that grief sometimes does not go away. It may change and shift, but more times than not we need to learn how to live with the loss.

I wish that our American culture recognized this instead of expecting somebody to attend a funeral and go back to work the next day as if getting on with life was the most normal thing to do...when really the world has stopped for you.

This book is the memoir of a mother whose first child is stillborn. It is a beautiful and powerful book.

Sometimes I don't have a lot to say about a book because the book is stupid and isn't worth describing. For this book, I don't have a lot to say because there is nothing else I need to say except that this is an important book and I think everyone would gain from reading it.

1 comment:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

what are the five most important/meaningful books that you would recommend? Your sister, emily