Saturday, October 11, 2008

In Constant Prayer by Robert Benson

This is an introduction to the practice of fixed-hour prayer, otherwise known as the daily office. Benson argues that we can't become people of prayer unless we actually start praying. The daily office is a discipline to get us more into the presence of God each day so that God might actually have a chance to speak to us and minister to us and so that we are worshiping him regularly regardless of what is going on. There are books of liturgy and Scripture that make saying the daily office more accessible.

This is one of the least daunting books on prayer that I have read. It is simple, yet inspiring. It not only made me think that I could actually integrate this practice into my life, but it made me want to as well.

No comments: