Friday, April 17, 2009

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

It seems like when a loved one commits suicide, the family and friends are left wondering why and what they could have done to prevent it.

In this book, Hannah Baker is a high schooler who commits suicide. But before she does, she makes an audio recording on seven cassette tapes describing the circumstances and 13 people that made her decide to finally end her life. Each of the 13 people will receive the package of tapes and are instructed to send it to the next person on the list after they are finished listening.

The story is written from the perspective of Clay Jensen, one of the last people to receive the package of tapes. As he listens to Hannah's story, all of the pieces and people click together and he is left understanding that Hannah just wanted to know that she was cared about. So many people had the chance to demonstrate this, including Clay who, out of fear, was not courageous enough to tell Hannah how he felt about her.

Wow. This book was really good, but heavy. It made me think about how I treat other people. And it reminded me that I never know the whole story behind people's choices.

A quote:
"I guess that's the point of it all. No one know for certain how much impact they have on the lives of other people. Oftentimes, we have no clue."

1 comment:

Sandra said...

This sounds like a good book. I'm going to check it out. I try to remember exactly how much of a difference I could be making in anyone persons life, but it isn't always easy.