Friday, April 9, 2010

Lucky Girl by Mei-Ling Hopgood



Usually I don't read books by Asian-Americans - the whole suffering in China, immigration experience, awkwardness in American society just makes me cringe. And why is there ALWAYS a Formica table??

I surprised myself when I picked this one up because it is written by a Chinese-American woman. She was born in Taiwan and adopted by white American parents who raised her in Michigan. When she's in her 20s, she reconnects with her birth family. And this isn't just a one-time meeting, she actually travels over there on numerous trips and gets to know her sisters.

This is a well-written book and the author's journey is really interesting - the development of her own ethnic identity and how she deals with her birth family and the secrets that she comes across.

The ending is sweet.

One of the first books of 2010 that I highly recommend.

No comments: