Friday, April 9, 2010

Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay



This book was recommended by one of my supervisors, an older gentleman who claimed that he finished the book on a plane ride home, sobbing all the way. So I checked it out.

It didn't make me cry, but it had me wanting to read and read and not stop. Finally, I said that I was going to sit on the couch unti I finished it.

This is about a little Jewish girl in Paris during WWII who, along with her parents, is taken away by the French police following Nazi orders. Her little brother goes to hide in a secret cupboard, and the little girl, Sarah, locks the cupboard and promises to return to get him. She has no idea that her and her parents will be taken away for so long...and that her parents will never return.

Her story is intertwined with a modern-day reporter who is investigating this police round up of Jews.

This book is all about secrets and what secrets do to us.

Another highly recommended book - but read it only if you have a lot of time, because you won't want to do anything else!

No comments: