Friday, June 25, 2010

The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin



The subtitle of this book is: "Or, Why I Spent a Year Trying to Sing in the Morning, Clean My Closets, Fight Right, Read Aristotle, and Generally Have More Fun."

This author spent a year with the intent on becoming happier. Every month, she chose a certain area of life (Parenting, Love, etc.) and listed specific resolutions that would increase her happiness (Laugh more. Exercise more. Remember birthdays.)

Overall, I liked this book. BUT it made me tired. So much doing, doing, doing. What I learned about myself from this book is that there are things that make me happy (basically reading and hanging out with my cats)...and why don't I do these more?? I also learned that REST makes me happy.

So this book made me tired, but it also did make me think more about my own life, how happy (or unhappy) I am, and what I could do about it. For me, I would probably only pick a couple of resolutions for the entire year (like: Read more.).

This book is good food for thought.

No comments: