Saturday, June 12, 2010

Memoirs of a Teenage Amnesiac by Gabrielle Zevin



I am on a Gabrielle Zevin kick. I have one more book of hers to read.
This one falls under that Young Adult category which is a category of books that I think is underappreciated by adults.

Naomi is in high school when she falls down some stairs and suffers a brain injury causing her to forget the last four years of her life. She begins to rediscover who she is and the people around her. Because she has forgotten who and what has meant something to her, she gets a fresh chance to figure things out.

I appreciate the author’s clear, crisp writing. This book was good, but not outstanding. Pleasant and thoughtful.

A quote that I liked:
“Maybe this was just life? One orphaning after the next. They should tell you when you’re born: have a suitcase heart, be ready to travel.”

No comments: