Wednesday, November 10, 2010

The Art of Eating In: How I Learned to Stop Spending and Love the Stove by Cathy Erway



The author of this book writes a blog called Not Eating Out in New York.

This book describes her two years of not eating out and how it was to cook every meal for herself. I like that she did this for two years. It seems like it's trendy these days to do something (or not do something) for a month or a year and write a book about it. But for two years? That has to require a deeper change in lifestyle and more adjustments.

I liked the book. It encouraged me to finally get started on something that has always scared me: baking with yeast. This last weekend, I bought a cast iron Dutch oven and I just tried to bake my first loaf of bread. I don't think the water I used was hot enough and the dough did not rise. I baked it anyway, and I have a flat loaf of rosemary/lemon bread. It's my first try. I'm gonna try again today.

1 comment:

DuMei said...

Hit up your local thrift shop for a bread maker. Super easy to use and super yummy bread. You may also have a friend with one laying around, untouched. That's how I got mine!