Monday, March 28, 2011

Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia by Harriet Brown



The author's teenage daughter, Kitty, is diagnosed with anorexia. Instead of sending her to an in-patient treatment program, the family decides to try a therapy in which the daughter stays at home. The focus is on helping her gain weight and restoring her physical health before addressing any of the psychological aspects of anorexia. The book goes through the year-long struggle of getting Kitty back to a normal weight and all of the battles, successes, setbacks, and calorie counting (at one point, she is eating 4,000 calories a day).

This was a compelling read. Facts about anorexia and different theories about it are interwoven with the family's story, so this was an educational read as well.

Kitty's menu is mentioned at one point and I learned something new - she ate granola with yogurt and JAM. Hum, I thought. I like to eat parfaits, layering fruit, granola, and yogurt. But I've never added jam. The next day, I added a dab of grape/apple jam to my parfait and wow, that was delicious! It adds just a touch of sweetness.

No comments: