Friday, June 10, 2011

Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship by Gail Caldwell



Sometimes I find a book that is so rich, deep, and comforting that I carry it with me wherever I go- church, work, social events. Even though I usually don't have time to read it when I'm out and about, I like knowing that it's in my purse. (Did you know that the main requirement for me when it comes to buying a purse is: does it fit a paperback?)

I carried this book around last week, savoring it when I could. It's a "memoir of friendship" and the author writes about how she met her friend, Caroline, and how their friendship developed and deepened. Caroline dies from lung cancer, and the author chronicles the aftermath and her grief.

Recommended.

PS: Have a box of tissues nearby.

A quote:

"I know now that we never get over great losses; we absorb them, and they carve us into different, often kinder, creatures." --Gail Caldwell

No comments: