Friday, June 10, 2011

Transitions: Making Sense of Life's Changes by William Bridges



Doesn't this book cover look like a chewing gum wrapper?

This book defines change as external (new job, relationship, baby) and transition as the psychological adjustment that happens internally. The book goes through the three stages of a transition: the ending, the neutral zone, and the beginning. There's descriptions of what's happening in each stage and what the reader can do to make the most of each period.

I like the idea, but the execution did not work that well for me. There was too much mythology and too many rambling sections. The unclear writing was hard to get through.

I actually bought this book, but I wish that I had checked it out from the library. It's going straight into the Book Swap bag that I'll take with me to my family reunion this year.

No comments: