Monday, August 8, 2011

The Summer I Turned Pretty by Jenny Han



Remember when I accidentally read the third book in a trilogy before reading the first? Well, I read the first one and just started on the second.

This one introduces Belly. She spends each summer at a beach house with her brother and mother, along with her mother's best friend who has two sons. Belly's growing up and things seem to be different this summer. Relationships between everyone at the beach house are changing, and these changes are sometimes spoken, sometimes unspoken.

I still don't have a good sense of who Belly is and what she is like. Is she smart? Wise? Shallow? I'm not sure. I don't have a good feel for her, and it seems like the first book of a trilogy should really establish that.

An easy, fast read. I read it almost all in one afternoon, while on the sofa, with a cat sleeping on my tummy. Didn't love it, but didn't hate it. Hoping that the second one will fill me in on what was missing in the first and third.

No comments: