Monday, December 5, 2011

Unbroken: A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience, and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand


I read this book in two parts. I initially checked it out, read 100 pages, and got stuck. Then, I had to return it to the library because there was a waiting list.

A couple of months went by and it was announced at my church that there would be a sermon series based on this book in January. Furthermore, Louis Zamperini, who is the subject of this book, would be at our church for a service. Also, at the Christmas Eve service, every family that attends will receive a copy of Unbroken, and I volunteered to help pass out the books. If I'm going to distribute a book, I need to have read it (that's my own personal policy, not the church's policy).

And so, I checked the book out once again from the library.

This time, I got sucked into it. I picked up where I left off and flew through the remaining 300 pages.

Unbroken is the biography of Louis Zamperini, a running/track star in the 1930s who participated in the Berlin Olympics. He was in the Air Force during World War II where his plane was shot down over the Pacific. He drifted in the ocean for 47 days before landing on a Japanese-occupied island. He was then held as a POW until the war ended. The book also follows him in the years after he was released and as he adjusted to life back in the United States.

A fascinating, stunning, and amazingly redemptive story. One of the best books that I've read in 2011. I give this my highest recommendation! A warning that the first 100 pages kinda drag, but press on! It's very much worth it.

No comments: