Tuesday, February 28, 2012

When She Woke by Hillary Jordan



I was excited to read this one since I LOVED Mudbound, a book by the same author. However, I was quite disappointed with this one. It started out well - it's a dystopian novel about Hannah who aborts her child and finds herself as a Chrome, meaning that she's dyed red to indicate that she committed murder.

Then, the book started to go downhill. The writing was great, and it was a pretty quick read, but the plot was lacking and kinda boring.

I can't recommend this book. It's not really that awful, but I'd feel misleading if you were actually convinced that you should go and pick this one up.

I gave this book to my sister (who recommended Mudbound to me) for her birthday before I had a chance to read it, so sorry to my sister.

1 comment:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

The plot completely unravels at the end and Through the last half I was like "Make it end. Make it end." When I finished I was relieved that I didn't have to read it anymore. Apologies accepted. I really did love Mudbound.