Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Why We Broke Up – Novel by Daniel Handler, Art by Maira Kalman



When you break up with someone (or he breaks up with you), you might be left with a broken heart, a relieved heart, a confused heart, or a combination of all three (and probably a bit more). One thing is probably true though – you’re left with items that remind you of him and your relationship. Either things he gave you (letters, jewelry, books, clothes, etc.) or things that he left around your place. What to do with these things?

One ex-boyfriend mailed me back some of my books (but he forgot one…a hardcover bestseller at the time!) overnight delivery. That must have cost a fortune. I really didn’t need to get them back THAT fast, but thanks, Ben. 

Anyway, this book, in both story and pictures, is one long letter from Min to her ex-boyfriend, Ed. She is planning to drop off a box of stuff at his house, and she describes the story of their relationship (and why they broke up) via each item in the box. 

A clever idea, and it sounds like it would be really interesting, eh? Wrong. It’s actually kinda boring and lacking in emotion. I didn’t like Min or Ed, and didn’t like their relationship or interactions at all, so why would I care why they broke up? I never really thought they should have been together in the first place. The pictures are cool though.

This was one book that I read about halfway through, and then hit that point of: Should I just finish it because I’ve already read half of it? Or should I quit now? I decided to finish, and now that I reflect back, that really wasn’t that necessary.

You read it here: you can skip this book.  Oh yah, and Ben, you can keep that bestseller (and why are you reading my blog)!

No comments: