Thursday, May 17, 2012

The American Way of Eating: Undercover at Walmart, Applebee's, Farm Fields and the Dinner Table by Tracie McMillan

For one year, the author goes undercover to investigate how Americans eat and what it would take for us to eat in a more healthy manner. She spends time in California picking garlic, in Michigan working in the produce section of WalMart, and in New York working in the kitchen of an Applebee's. She also makes herself live on the money she makes from these jobs which is a challenge in itself.

Throughout the book, McMillan also weaves in her research about America's food industry. There is a lot of research cited, and many, many footnotes (so many that it got annoying and I stopped reading them).

I liked the sections about her own experience at these jobs. I also really liked the author. She comes across as down-to-earth, friendly, open, and humble. The only thing that detracted from this book was all of the research that she includes. It felt very academic, which is okay, but when I read for fun, I don't like reading a bunch of research. (Even two years after finishing grad school, I sometimes still revel in the fact that I don't have homework or required reading. But for my blog readers out there who are still in school, Carry on! The day is coming when you can read all for fun!)

One disturbing thing - I found out that eating at Applebee's is basically like eating processed food. All of the food comes in plastic baggies that are just defrosted, heated up again, and plated.

Giving this book a so-so review.

I would recommend Nickel and Dimed: On (Not) Getting By in America by Barbara Ehrenreich if you want to read an excellent undercover book about how someone survives (or not really) when making minimum wage in America.

No comments: