Thursday, December 5, 2013

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife by Eben Alexander

A friend of mine is likes to recommend books to me. It took me awhile to realize that he actually hasn't finished all of the books he recommends.  He starts them and tells me about them. Then, after I finish the book, I go back and say, "Thanks, that was a really good book!" And he'll say, "Oh, was it? Okay, I'll finish it then." Anyway, this is one of those books that this friend, Matt, has recommended to me.

Dr. Alexander falls into a coma after contracting a rare disease. He's in a coma for seven days and as his family and doctors discuss ending treatment, he regains consciousness. He writes very vividly about where he was for those seven days. Before this experience, he was not a believer in the soul, God, or heaven, but this experience changes him.

This was a strange read. He writes about the spiritual landscape he entered into, and it is just way beyond our human knowledge that it was challenging to understand and grasp exactly what he witnessed. 
It reminds me of the end of C.S. Lewis' The Last Battle: "All their life in this world and all their adventures in Narnia had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story, which no one on earth has read: which goes on for ever: in which every chapter is better than the one before."

No comments: