Thursday, April 24, 2014

Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead by Sheryl Sandberg

"I have written this book to encourage women to dream big, forge a path through the obstacles, and acheive their full potential. I am hoping that each woman will set her own goals and reach for them with gusto. And I am hoping that each man will do his part to support women in the workplace and in the home, also with gusto."
                                                                                    --Sheryl Sandberg
I met with several of my (female) co-workers for lunch and this book came up in our conversation, so I checked it out.

Sandberg cites lots of research about how men and women are viewed differently in the workplace and how they approach work and home responsibilities differently. Among other things, she calls for women to fully show up in the workplace and for men to fully show up at home.

I don't have a final conclusion about this book. It was challenging, but also tiring. I still have some mixed feelings to sort through.  On one hand, Sandberg is inspirational and offers some really good examples and advice. On the other hand, I would love to have a housekeeper and take a nap.

No comments: