Monday, April 28, 2014

Mister Owita's Guide to Gardening: How I Learned the Unexpected Joy of a Green Thumb and an Open Heart by Carol Wall

I walked out onto my patio the other day to check on how all of my plants are doing. They are doing fine. On some of them, there is so much growth and change even over a day or so and it is so fun to see.

Back to books. Wall's garden was neglected and overgrown, so she hired Mr. Owita who worked at the local nursery and grocery store. Over the years that Mr. Owita tends to her garden, they become close friends.

This is a sweet story about the nurturing of a garden and a friendship. There was something about the writing that didn't seem that tightly pulled together though, and this drew my attention away from the story. However, there is an important lesson that Wall learns and that is to not assume anything about anybody. A good thing to remember.

Overall, a so-so read for me.

No comments: