Monday, June 16, 2014

The Rook by Daniel O'Malley

At a recent wedding, my old friend from college who was sitting next to me leaned over and said, "I read your blog sometimes, but we don't like the same genres." She is a fan of science fiction, and if you're familiar with my blog, you know that I don't read a lot of science fiction.

I asked her, if I were to read some science fiction, what would she recommend? She asked, "Well, what science fiction movies do you like?" I paused. "See?" she said. Then, my husband, who wants to go by Boomer in this blog now, jumped into the conversation and they had quite a productive discussion about which science fiction books they like. I ate my roll with butter.


Anyway, all that to say that I just read a book that was categorized under Science Fiction...and wasn't a big fan.

It started out pretty well, but, at 482 pages, should have been more like 200 pages. Getting through the last 100 pages was a challenge.

It starts out with Myfanwy Thomas waking up in a park surrounded by dead bodies with a letter reading: "Dear You, The body you are wearing used to be mine." Myfanwy has to figure out how to pass as the person's body she is in with the help of detailed letters written by the person whose body she occupies.

A so-so book that started out better than it ended. Thanks for the recommendation, Grace!! And sorry, Debi, I think you're right...you're not going to find a lot of science fiction books on this blog.

No comments: