Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Three More Quick Reviews

I'm trying to squeeze in reviews for all of the books I've read by the end of this year. So here are three more quick reviews about the last three fiction books I've read.

Five Days Left by Julie Lawson Timmer
A well-written downer of a book and also a primer on Huntington's Disease. There are two stories in this book, one about a wife and mother with Huntington's Disease who is ready to call it quits, and another story about a soon-to-be-father whose heart belongs to his temporary foster son. There are lots of issues explored about in this book, but because it is such a downer, I can't wholeheartedly recommend it to you.





The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer
I really, really liked this book! It's about six friends who meet at a high school performing arts camp in the 70s, and it follows them through mid-life. I LOVE books that follow the lifespan. I was absorbed in this book.








If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Told from the point of view of Mia, a talented 16-year-old cellist, who is in a car accident in which all of her family members are killed. Mia is watching herself in the hospital as she recounts her life and decides whether or not to stay or to go with the rest of her family. The book was dull in some parts and dragged in others, but I liked it enough to put myself on the waiting list for the sequel.

No comments: