Tuesday, March 1, 2016

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry

If you spent any time around me while I was reading A Fine Balance, I'm pretty sure you heard me talk about it. It consumed me for the couple of weeks I was reading it.

A Fine Balance was sitting unread on my bookshelf for years, and I took it down wondering if I should just give it away. But then, I opened it up and started reading it and I am so glad I did.

This is one of the best books I've read in the last five years or so, and I am really not exaggerating. 

It takes place in India in 1975 and a widow, a college student, and two tailors are thrown together in an apartment.

At 600+ pages, this is quite the saga. But have you ever read a book that was super long and it felt 200 pages too long? This book never felt long to me, it was just right. I was afraid the ending would disappoint, but it was just right as well.

I picked up this book ready to give it away, but now I'm considering keeping it in my personal library.

No comments: