Monday, April 4, 2016

Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates


Written as a letter to his son, Ta-Nehisi Coates addresses race in America. He weaves in history and current day events along with his own personal narrative.

I love to read memoirs because I want to know how other people live and experience life. Parts of this book I did not understand because I am not black, and I have no idea what it's like to be a black person in America. So even though some of this book was beyond my understanding, maybe that's why it's important to read - to even understand a little bit more about what it means to be black in America. I had to read this book pretty slowly, just a a couple of pages at a time. I could see this book becoming required reading in high schools and college courses.

No comments: