Thursday, November 17, 2016

Jennifer, Hecate, MacBeth, William McKinley, and Me, Elizabeth by E.L. Konigsburg

There's been lots going on in our home, in our hearts, and in our nation, and so I have found myself rejecting all books that deal with intense subject matter (i.e. slavery, sexual abuse, discrimination, death - might I add a big thank you to Grace who so graciously warned me not to read a book in which a dog dies!).

Instead, I am seeking out what I am calling "gentle reading."

One of my favorite childhood books is E.L. Konigsburg's From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, but I haven't really read any of her other books. I found this one in our neighborhood Little Library and it definitely falls under the category of "gentle reading."

Elizabeth decides to become an apprentice witch to Jennifer. The back cover reads, "It was all great, until the day they started to make flying ointment."

This is the story of elementary school friendship, witches and apprentices. A fun easy reading book, gentle on the heart, and whimsical.

No comments: