Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Blink: The power of thinking without thinking

I've wanted to read this book for a long time now because I really enjoyed Malcolm Gladwell's other book, The Tipping Point: How little things can make a big difference. This book, Blink, has been so popular at my local library that it's always been checked out when I've looked for it. I finally resorted to ordering it through my university library which had it delivered from another library in California.

Was it worth all of the effort? This book was a very quick and fun read. Gladwell explores how we make split-second decisions that are sometimes very accurate and sometimes very inaccurate. He tells fascinating stories about how our quick decisions all play out (his discussion about speed-dating was particularly interesting...can we really tell within five minutes if we are interested in someone or willing to dismiss them as a potential date?).

This book made me think about listening to my own intuition. First impressions may not always be right, but is there some truth to them? As one of my professors says, how we feel in the presence of another human being is data that gets registered in our bodies. It tells us something about the other person and their energy. It's worth paying some attention to even if it doesn't make sense at the time.

Overall, this book was fun and made me think about my own experiences in listening to my intuition and decisions I've made or haven't made based on my initial thoughts and feelings. If you're looking for a quick, interesting read, pick up this book.

1 comment:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

Last time I was at the Mountain View Library there were five copies on the shelf!