Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Shalom in the home: Smart advice for a peaceful life


I haven't watched this TLC show. I've only seen Rabbi Shmuley Boteach on Oprah. This is a companion book to his TV series. On the show, families request his help and he visits them and helps them work through the problems in their households. Some of the problems the families face: adultery, grief, excessive arguing, and rebellious kids. Some things I learned:


  • Kids like boundaries and structure. All families need some spontaneous fun though.
  • The home should be a refuge from the world, a place where family members can let down their defenses and find some rest and peace.
  • Kids want attention and if all they can get is negative attention, that's what they'll settle for.
  • Although Rabbi Shmuley was usually called in because of trouble with the kids, the deeper problem was usually with the quality of the parents' marriage.
  • Kids require lots of time, love, attention, and leadership! If they don't find it at home, they'll look for it outside of the home.

I'm interested in watching the show now to see what these families look like. I'll file all this information away for my future with or without kids.

2 comments:

Sandra said...

I love his show! It's really amazing what a difference he makes in peoples lives. He seems like such as nice man and he seems to really care about people.

marcel said...

shalom lekulam!
help me to write biographies of great personnalities of jewisheritage.fr
You can also write a letter to this personnalities!
I post your letter for you
a bientot
marcel - France