Saturday, May 24, 2008

Sunnyvale: The Rise and Fall of a Silicon Valley Family by Jeff Goodell

"Even the name of the town I lived in made me feel lucky: Sunnyvale. I loved the word Sunnyvale." --Jeff Goodell in chapter 1.

This book is called "Sunnyvale." This is a memoir about a Sunnyvale family and the brokenness and healing (some). It also gets into the generational patterns of relationships and abandonment and the pain that it causes.
The author does a good job engaging us with his family and I really got into this book and cared about the family members. It was honest.

However, this book really could have taken place anywhere in the United States. "Sunnyvale" is the title of the book, but the place did not really play a role at all.

Let me tell you how I got this book. This has happened twice now: I am learning that if I'm at a garage sale and I want to buy a large piece of furniture and also a book, they usually throw the book in for free. This doesn't mean that I buy large pieces of furniture in order to get free books, I'm just saying that sometimes people are nice like that and that's how I got this book (actually, it was Boomer who bought the table and I wanted the book).

1 comment:

Sandra said...

I couldn't agree more about living in Sunnyvale. It sounds so Californian. :)