Monday, June 2, 2008

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls

This is a memoir of Walls' experience growing up in a poor West Virginia town with a very dysfunctional family (including an alcoholic father). This is really a story of survival. Walls and her siblings find creative ways of coping without parental support, care, and provision. Amazing and sad at the same time. I highly recommend this book for the memoir part of it and also because it is really well-written. It is one of the best books I've read this year and one that I'm going to keep in my library instead of giving away.

4 comments:

Ruth said...

i read this too... really intriguing because its a memoir (which is my reading preference). incredible stuff.

Anonymous said...

I read this one as well - so much in there that is heart-breaking yet hopeful. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on it!

HK said...

Yes, this book was amazing in that it was a true story. Sad and also interesting to see how different a path she has chosen to live and succeed in contrast to her parents.

Sandra said...

We should meet up for coffee or something at least once before I leave!