Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Ask a Librarian!

I went to the library this morning and found a book that I've been wanting to read called Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo. I knew it was about a dog because there's a picture of one on the cover. However, I was wondering if the dog dies at the end because right now, I am in no mood to read a sad pet book like Old Yeller or Where the Red Fern Grows.


As I was browsing the other books (I was in the children's section), a librarian came up to ask if I needed help finding anything. This is how our conversation went:


Me: Have you read this book? [I hold up Because of Winn-Dixie.]

Librarian: Yes.

Me: Is Winn-Dixie the dog?

Librarian: Yes.

Me: Does the dog die at the end? Because I don't want to read it if the dog dies.

Librarian: No, I don't remember the dog dying, but let me check. [She takes the book and reads the last few pages.] No, it's okay.

Me: Okay, I'll read it then.


I continue browsing and I hear the librarian go back to the desk and tell another librarian our conversation. And I hear the other librarian say, "Yeah, we don't like books where the dogs die at the end."

Anyway, I share this conversation because 1) it's kinda funny and 2) librarians are a wealth of information and I encourage you to ask them questions!

No comments: