Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The Shack by William P. Young

I'm not a fan of Christian fiction. Maybe with the exception of Francine Rivers' Mark of the Lion trilogy. Other than those three books, I've stayed away from Christian fiction.

This is Christian fiction. My sister lent me this book, saying that it is all the rage in Christian circles these days. It's the story of Mackenzie Allen Phillips' experience of being invited back to the scene of his six-year-old daughter's murder and how God meets him there.

The feeling I was left with after reading this book was: Suspicion. I read it quickly and there were some truths in it. However, the writing was not that great and the theology seemed a bit questionable. Also, is this a true story? I couldn't figure that out either. Hum. The jury is still out on this one.

1 comment:

Ruth said...

I agree with you on Christian fiction. I tend to hold it at arms length, with an eye of suspicion. The last time I read Christian fiction, was in high school, with Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness. Clement may not remember this, but in high school I distinctly remember him telling me not to read it at night. Because I'm such a rebel (blech) I did exactly the opposite and was scared stiff for several days. Not to say that it was a bad book, but I think I was wrapped up in my own fear rather than knowing actual sound theology on what is real and what isn't.