Saturday, January 10, 2009

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferriss

There is a Warning on the back of this book that reads: "Do not read this book unless you want to quit your job."


How do you quit your 9-5 job, make $10,000+ every month, travel the world in style, and spend only four hours/week managing your business? Well, this book tells you how to do that. The author proposes that instead of working like crazy for 40 years and then retiring, we should find a way to take mini-retirements and do the things that we long to do in retirement (travel around Europe, become a master gardener, live in Thailand) NOW.

I read this book because I've seen it around a lot and wanted to know what it was all about...and doesn't the title sound enticing? I'm not really interested in running my own business or making tons of money. What I did learn was some tips for time efficiency. For example, the author suggests getting something checked off your To-Do list by 11am every morning and also only checking email twice a day at noon and 4pm. I tried those two things this past week and they have increased my efficiency and have made me question how I spend my time (do I really need to read so many blogs?...well, besides Sandra's and Ruth's? :D).

This book raises the question of What do I want to do with my life? And it proposes a way to make that happen. I think it can be taken at any level that is appropriate for each individual. It's just good stuff to think about. I mean, how many of us are stuck in jobs we hate waiting for someday to come? This book encourages the reader to do something and to get unstuck.

A quote: "Getting fired, despite sometimes coming as a surprise and leaving you scrambling to recover, is often a godsend: Someone else makes the decision for you, and its impossible to sit in the wrong job for the rest of your life. Most people aren't lucky enough to get fired and [they] die a slow spiritual death over 30-40 years of tolerating the mediocre." --Timothy Ferriss

3 comments:

Sandra said...

That title sounds dreamy! I'm not too interested in making mega bucks but I would like to have the money to do and after 10 years of working for everyone else, I know I want to be my own boss even if that means making a little less.
This might be a book I need to check out.
(And of course you must read my blog boring as it may be as of late.)

Elaine said...

I'm thinking that you're not missing your job back in CA at all. =D

Elaine said...

Okay, well, I just read your last post and maybe missing/not missing your job, or working at least, is more complicated than that. =D