Saturday, January 3, 2009

The Dinner Diaries by Betsy Block

The full title of this book is The Dinner Diaries: Raising Whole Wheat Kids in a White Bread World. And we certainly do live in a White Bread World. This is the author's journey of finding healthy, local, toxin-free food that her family of picky eaters (her husband and two kids) will actually like. She researches meat, seafood, milk, buying local, school lunches, advertising targeted to kids, and advice from nutritionists. Entertaining and useful at the same time.


I found this book helpful as I alter my own diet to fit my doctor's recommendation (based on results of my last three blood tests) to cut out sugar and starches from my diet. Oh yeah, and to increase fiber. It's quite the challenge to eat well, especially when I love cookies, bread, hot chocolate, and lemonade. So this book was fitting for me as I try to eat better. It also made me glad I don't have any picky eaters to feed...I just have to focus on my own diet right now.

No comments: