Sunday, January 18, 2009

The Gospel of Matthew Volume 1, Interpretation by William Barclay

For the last several years, I have read, trudging at times, through the entire Bible in one year.

2009 is different. I decided to give myself a break. Instead of plowing through the whole Bible, I'm reading this Commentary, starting in the New Testament with the book of Matthew. Sometimes I only read five verses a day, but I learn so much from the Commentary that follows them. Sometimes, I spend several days on the same five verses. Already, I have learned a lot about Jewish history and culture and have deepened my understanding of text that I've read so many times before.

I'm still in Chapter 3 of Matthew and I'm planning on going through as many of these Commentaries as I can this year. I'll see how many books I can get through. But the goal for this year is Depth, not Breadth. So far, I like it!

2 comments:

Sandra said...

What a great idea! I love being able to place what I read from the bible in the context of when and where it is written. It adds so much depth to the writing.

Elaine said...

Yes, I am learning so much and I'm enjoying it too. =D