Thursday, February 26, 2009

Comfort: A Journey Through Grief by Ann Hood

I want to start off this post by writing, "Read this book!"

However, saying this might be puzzling considering the content of the book.

The author's five-year-old daughter, Grace, died suddenly after having a virulent form of strep throat. This is the author's reflection on the death, her grief, and her daughter's short life.

I've heard that losing a child is the most devastating loss ever. I've also been told by mothers who have lost a child that I would never understand the depth of the pain and grief unless I have actually experienced the loss myself.

Reading this book gave me a glimpse into that pain. It did not make me fully understand how painful it is to lose a child. I hope that I will never know that pain.

I say "Read this book!" because it is beautiful. It is also heartbreaking and very sad. But it is beautiful.

A quote:
"The first time I walked into Grace's room after she died, when the reality of what happened to us in the past forty-eight hours was still unbelievable...I screamed, not the kind of scream that comes from fright, but the kind that comes from the deepest grief imaginable. It is a scream that comes when there are no words to express what you feel."

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Just reading that quote gave me chills. Like you, I never ever ever want to know that kind of pain.