Wednesday, December 30, 2009

My Top Reads for 2009

I read 57 books for fun this year (two of which I have not yet reviewed here), down from the 67 I read in 2008. That's quite a drop, but I will try not to be too hard on myself. =D

Here's a list of my top reads of the year:

Book that made me the most thoughtful: Seeking Peace by Mary Pipher

Book that touched my heart: The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa

Most spiritually encouraging: Home Tonight by Henri Nouwen

Most fun reading experience: The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Flinn

Most practical and grounding: Miss Manners of Painfully Proper Weddings by Judith Martin

Happy new year! I hope that 2010 brings you much joy, good health, and plenty of excellent books to read!

PS: If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to hear which books were your favorites in 2009.

3 comments:

Emily Gee-Clark said...

I read a lot of lame books this year. I looked back on my list and the last four books that I read were Really lame. I guess it was a bad reading year for me. Hopefully 2010 will be better.

Tyler Watson said...

Book I should have read years ago, but didn't, even though it was assigned reading in a college class: For Whom the Bell Tolls by Ernest Hemingway.

Deceptively rich novel: The Power and the Glory by Graham Greene.

A book I re-read that I'll read over and over again: The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Best book on ministry I've read in years: Calling & Character by William Willimon.

Insightful, but too effusive of a portrayal of an already appreciated figure: Team of Rivals by Doris Kearns Goodwin.

Elaine said...

Cool. I'll make a note of these. Thanks for sharing!