Friday, December 11, 2009

A Book List for a Friend

I received this comment from my friend, David. I grew up with David. He has an amazing memory for song lyrics. I remember us as young kids in his backyard going down the slide while he sang "Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys.

This is what he wrote:
Hey E!

Three years ago, I gave up soda for a year.
Two years ago, I gave up ice cream for a year.
Last year, I gave up chocolate and chips for a year.
This coming year, I decided to give up giving up stuff and add something.

I have decided to read one book a month for 2010 (I don't read unless absolutely necessary like for a class or something...and even then I don't read the whole thing.) Out of the books you've read, which do you think I'd like?

--David

Yay! I love it when people decide to read more. And now he can drink soda AND eat ice cream, chocolate, and chips while reading.

My response:

Hi David,

Here are my recommendations. I kept a couple of things in mind while choosing the books - since you're not a big fan of reading, I chose books that are pretty easy, accessible, and fun. Also, to keep you on track for one book per month, I chose books that aren't that long. Click on each title for my review and a description of the book. Let me know how it goes.


My Favorite Young Adult/Kid Books:
-Because of Winn-Dixie by Kate DiCamillo
-Kimchi and Calamari by Rose Kent
-Stargirl by Jerry Spinelli

Books About Food:
-The Sharper Your Knife, the Less You Cry by Kathleen Finn
-Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver (this one is a bit longer)
-How Starbucks Saved My Life by Michael Gates Gill

Fiction:
-The Talented Mr. Ripley by Patricia Highsmith
-The Housekeeper and the Professor by Yoko Ogawa
-Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling

Non-Fiction:
-Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom

2 comments:

Dave K said...

Thanks E!

I love how I've made it into your blog!

I've already read Tuesdays With Morrie. That book is AMAAAAAZING. I couldn't put it down. I never recommend any books to people (since I don't read that much) but this one I ALWAYS do. Have you read his other stuff? Any good in comparison?

Have you read anything by Camy Tang? She has a "sushi series" out. The first one was called "Sushi For One". It's compared to "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" but for asians. Just wanted your thoughts on that one.

Elaine said...

Hi David!

I've read other books by Mitch Albom, but nothing compared to Tuesdays with Morrie.

I haven't read anything by Camy Tang. I'll look her up next time I'm at the library.

Let me know how your reading in 2010 goes! Merry Christmas.