Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri



This book made me weep.

A friend, Margaret, recommended it to me, but she cautioned me that she had cried throughout the book.

As I read it, I didn't cry and I wondered, "What made Margaret cry?"

And then I hit the last ten pages.

Tears started streaming down my face as I read the ending, and I wept for a good time after I had finished the book.

Boomer asked, "What made you cry? What was the book about?"

All I could say was, "Life."

The book was about life, specifically the life of a Bengali family that immigrates to the United States. But this story could have been the story of any family from any country.

The end wasn't shocking or anything like that, it was simply about life. And life, with all of its ups and downs, includes some heartbreaking loss.

This was one of the best books I've read in 2010. You all know that I usually don't buy books since I just check them out from the library. But I am thinking about buying this one to have in my personal library.

No comments: